Constructed in 1856, this is the oldest structure in Troy. The one-and-a-half story center-gable house is constructed of hand-hewn timbers. The corner posts are hand-hewn cottonwood and the windows contain some original hand made glass. Nelson Rodgers, the town's first blacksmith and postmaster, built this house out of oak, walnut, and pine. A trap door in the floor reveals a secret cave where fugitive slaves were reportedly hidden during Bleeding Kansas Days.
Regional history identifies the house as the first and oldest remaining house in Troy. The house was sold to Sidney Tennant, a prominent lawyer. Abraham Lincoln came to Troy in December 1859. Local legend states he walked down the street to visit his acquaintance, Sidney Tennant.
Address: 138 E. Walnut
Come visit us in Troy, Kansas