Octagon House

category : Other Attractions
Some call the Octagon House the "round house," others call it the "inkwell." Stories vary as to why the builder, Dr. William T. Sparrow, decided to build a house with eight sides. The most poplar story was that he had previously lost a house of conventional shape to a hurricane, and he felt that a house with eight sides would better resist the wind. In recent years, a group of concerned citizens formed the Octagon House Restoration, Inc., to preserve this unusual house.When historians delved into the history of the house, it was learned that there was probably another reason for building a house with eight sides. During the 1850s, a fad developed in the United States for building of eight-sided dwellings. This fad accelerated and was believed influenced by a book entitled "The Octagon House - A Home For All." The book was written by phrenologist, Orson S. Fowler, of New York. The book circulated throughout this country, France and England, and China. One chapter in the book details the building of an octagon house that conforms to the dimensions of this house which was built in 1857. When the cypress shingles which had been on the house since the 1890s were removed, it revealed that on the sides where there were no windows, there were markings of false windows. This was a distinguishing characteristic of a Fowler design. The preservation group then decided to retain the false windows and restore the outside walls to stucco and plaster the inside walls as they had been originally. The original wood floors have been kept where possible. Four different fireplaces are served by a central chimney. There are six rooms with a hall both up and down stairs. This unique building is one of only two of its kind in North Carolina that were built in the 19th century. Dr. William T. Sparrow was born in Craven County in 1825. He married Elizabeth Jennett of Hyde County sometime before 1847. The property on which the house stands was originally owned by the Jennett family. One of Dr. Sparrow's present-day descendants has written: "he has been called eccentric, as someone who loved phrenology and octagonal houses could be called, but he certainly was not an ordinary nineteenth century man." This house is one of 10 historic sites on the Hyde County Talking Houses and Historic Places driving tour. These sites are equipped with am radio transmitters which you can tune to from the convenience of your car to learn the history of the area. The Octagon House is also on the Historic Lake Landing Landmarks riding tour. Currently, the site is occupied by the Partnership for the Sounds and is open 2 days per week. Call for hours.

US 264
Engelhard, NC 27824
Phone: (252)925-4150
Our Email:

Come visit us in Engelhard, North Carolina

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Big Trout Marina Cafe

We are on the waterfront in Engelhard, where you can watch the fishing and pleasure boats coming and going. We have fresh seafood daily including: oysters, shrimp, flounder, and trout and plenty of fresh vegetables. Come and enjoy a good home-cooked meal!

Engelhard, NC Businesses

St. George's Episcopal Church

St. George's Church, was consecrated on April 14, 1878

Engelhard, NC Churches


The village of Middletown was once Hyde County's largest port and it became its first incorporated town in 1787

Engelhard, NC Other Attractions

Things to do Other Attractions near Engelhard, NC

Kettle Pancake House

Oepn 24 hours a day everyday ...

Little Italy

Italian Food and Pizza ...

North Carolina's Northeast

Welcome to North Carolina's Northeast. Our sixteen-county region offers a wide variety of opportunities both for the busines...