LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Quaker Meeting House- Ohio Historical Society


category : Historical Societies
This three-story brick building was erected in Mount Pleasant in 1814 and was the first yearly Quaker meeting house west of the Alleghenies. Capable of holding 2,000 people, the building contains an auditorium with a balcony. The auditorium can be divided into two rooms by lowering a wooden partition; when the building was actively used by Quakers, men and women met separately.



The Mount Pleasant meeting house was used regularly until 1909. Jess Thomas and Robert Carothers laid out Mount Pleasant in 1803. It soon became an important market for Quaker settlers.



Site is open by appointment only. Please call 800-752-2631.


Hours: Sunday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Monday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Address: Ohio Historical Society

Near the intersection of State Routes 150 and 647


Phone: (800) 752-2631
Our Website:www.ohiohistory.org/places/quaker

Come visit us in Mount Pleasant, Ohio

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Things to do Historical Societies near Mount Pleasant, OH

Wayne County Historical Society

Visit displays that depict Wayne County's importance as a major cultural crossroads in early America, where industrious P...

Quaker Meeting House- Ohio Historical Society

This three-story brick building was erected in Mount Pleasant in 1814 and was the first yearly Quaker meeting house west of t...

Zoar Village - Ohio Historical Society

Zoar Village was founded in 1817 by German religious dissenters who formed a communal society which lasted until 1898. Today,...

Fort Laurens - Ohio Historical Society

Fort Laurens was built by American Continental Army troops in November 1778 in order to chastise the Ohio Indians who were si...