Oil Patch Russell is a place to see, feel and learn about oil, the "Black Gold" that fuels man's imagination, as well as his machines. The story of the people and events that make up the history of oil in this area will come alive at Oil Patch Russell.
An imposing looking structure, the museum building was formerly the county jail, built in 1907 from greenhorn limestone or "post rock." It has adapted nicely to the modern theories of museum functions.
This structure is the oldest "post rock" stone house built in Russell in 1872 by Nicholas Gernon, a blacksmith and one of the original settlers. This lovely home has been fully restored to the period of the 1890s.