This structure is the oldest "post rock" stone house built in Russell in 1872 by Nicholas Gernon, a blacksmith and one of the original settlers. This lovely home has been fully restored to the period of the 1890s.
An imposing looking structure, the museum building was formerly the county jail, built in 1907 from greenhorn limestone or "post rock." It has adapted nicely to the modern theories of museum functions.
The Deines Center is the permanent home of the wood engravings of nationally known artist, E. Hubert Deines. The Deines work is displayed on a rotating basis in the west end of the main gallery. In addition, the Deines Cultural Center features other artists'