LASR.net Homepage




Menu

S.H. Kress Building


category : Historic Buildings
Built in 1929, this is a two-story buff brick structure with distinctive terra cotta trim. The design motifs, vaguely Gothic or Elizabethian, are common to Kress store designs throughout the city. This building, renovated in 1982 for use as retail and office space, is an excellent example of adaptive reuse of an historic structure. The ground floor retains its original curved glass display windows. Feel free to walk through, noting the arches, columns, pressed tin ceilings, greenery, and historic Emporia photographs.


Address: 702 Commercial

Come visit us in Emporia, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Emporia Center for the Arts

The Emporia Arts Council offices are in a building that was once a car dealership, and has been renovated with volunteer labor. The building also houses exhibits, classes, programs, theatre performances, and premiere performances by renowned artists.

Emporia, KS Arts

Emporia Zoo

The Emporia Zoo houses nearly 400 specimens including vultures and buffalo. One of the country's smallest accredited zoos is home to a variety of birds, mammals, and reptiles. The zoo also features exceptional botanical displays and spectacular holiday lights.

Emporia, KS Zoos

Emporia Flint Hills Tours

A two day tour of Emporia, Cottonwood Falls and Council Grove. Historical Sites, food, shopping and fun are just a few of the things on the agenda. The itinerary is suggested and adaptable for individuals or groups.

Emporia, KS Tours

Howe House

Completed in 1867 as the home of local stonemason Richard Howe, this two-story limestone structure reflects Federal and Greek Revivals styles in addition to the building traditions of Howe'

Emporia, KS Famous Homes

Emporia Parks

C of E Park at 15th and Chestnut, Fremont Park at 4th and Union, Hammond Park at 18th between Center and State, Jones Park, south of 24

Emporia, KS Parks

Things to do Historic Buildings near Emporia, KS

Old Conoco Station

Originally there were three frame buildings at this location. The first one housed a cigar factory, the second a barber shop ...