Welcome to the Sioux County Museum Complex. Four Buildings contain artifacts representative of the character and history of Sioux County from its earliest days into the 20th century.
Main Museum - The main museum building served as a newspaper office from 1924 - 1960 and houses our historical records and library as well as miscellaneous displays.
The Post Office - The Post Office building is an example of early commercial buildings in the developing west. The building was used as a Post Office from 1905 to 1936, and for other commercial purposes during later years. The building was located on the west side of Harrison's main street until moved to the museum complex in 1977. Original Post Office furnishings, equipment and artifacts are on display in the building. Other displays in the building characterize its several other uses.
The Schoolhouse - The original District 60 Schoolhouse was built by homesteader Forrest Kyle. It was constructed of logs and rough boards. This frame building replaced the original at a site 3 miles south of Andrews Community in Sioux County. The district school was in service for 56 years.
House and Telephone Office - This early day home was built by Oscar Ward in 1905 on it's present site. Mr. Ward served as town marshal and county sheriff. His wife and their daughters operated a telephone switchboard in their home until 1919. Later residents operated the telephone office was moved to Crawford. The telephone office is furnished with a switchboard and phones similar to ones used in the early 1900s. Period furniture is displayed in the other rooms.
Admission: FREE ADMISSION
Hours: HOURS: Open May 31 - Labor Day
Closed Sunday Mornings
Address: East Side, South Main Street
Come visit us in Harrison, Nebraska