The Sirrine House was built in 1896 by Joel E. Sirrine for his new bride, Caroline Simkins Sirrine. The original house is three rooms with a large wooden porch, high ceilings for cooling, and wooden baseboards, windowsills and trimmings. The lumber for the home was purchased in Prescott and freighted to the valley by Joel and his brother, Warren. The wood was primarily Ponderosa pine. The brick for the house was made by the Shill family of Lehi.
The home is furnished to represent the first years after the turn of the century, with actual period piece antiques and collectibles which are authentic to the time. The home is elegant but simple. Decisions about furnishings were based on knowledge of the times, the people who lived in the home, and the style of this particular area. Artifacts were donated or purchased by the museum staff with funds provided by the Mesa Southwest Museum Guild.
The effect is that of stepping into a Mesa home of about 100 years ago. The hope is that this historic home will give the people of today a glimpse back in time to the Mesa of the early 1900's.
Admission: Free Admission
Hours: Open weekends, October through March.
Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sundays, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Address: 160 N. Center St.
Come visit us in Mesa, Arizona