The Town of Texon, Texas was founded in 1924 by the Big Lake Oil Company. Texon was established on the railroad line owned by the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient of Texas Railroad. This railroad line extended from San Angelo to Alpine and survived mainly on Texas oil traffic. In 1924 Texon was utilizing an 8' X 24' Train Car body as its Depot. October 1928 Santa Fe purchased this line and extended it to Presidio, Texas. In 1930 Santa Fe built a 24' X 64' #3 Branch Line Standard Depot at Texon. Santa Fe retired the Depot in 1958 and it was purchased by L.B. Barefoot who moved it off site to Sheffield, Texas to use as a feed store. Yvonne McComb of Rankin, Texas purchased the Depot to move to land she owned on the Llano River and intended to convert it into a home. The land had restrictions that would not allow her to move the Depot there.
In October 2002 Jane McAfee purchased the Depot and moved it on November 22, 2002 from Sheffield to west of Odessa, Texas on 5821 N. Moss Ave. She has restored the Depot to preserve for use as a private historical railroad museum.
Hours: Call for Appointment.
Phone: 432 381-0563
Come visit us in Odessa, Texas