LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Cherokee Advocate


category : Monuments
The Cherokee Advocate

The Cherokee Advocate
Vol 1, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Thursday, September 9, 1844

As a tribute to Oklahoma's first legal newspaper, The Cherokee Advocate, was established in 1844 in a building approximately 100' from the location (of this maker.)

The marker was dedicated September 6, 1957 by the Oklahoma Press Association and the Oklahoma Professional Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi.



Come visit us in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Adams Corner Rural Village

Adams Corner Rural Village is a detailed reconstruction of a small crossroads community of 1875 - 1890, in the final years of the old Cherokee Nation. The Heritage Farm exhibits livestock commonly found on Cherokee farms along with endangered domestic breeds.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Tsa-La-Gi Outdoor Theater

Also located on the grounds of the Cherokee Heritage Center is the Tsa-La-Gi Theater, a 1,200

Tahlequah, OK Theatres

Old Cherokee Capitol Building

The Cherokee Council first met in 1839

Tahlequah, OK Ethnic Heritage

Cherokee Supreme Court Building

This structure was built in 1845 by James S. Pierce to house the Cherokee National Supreme Court. The supreme and district court both held sessions here for some time. The "Cherokee Advocate" was also printed in this building for several years after the original Advocate building burned. About 1875

Tahlequah, OK Ethnic Heritage

Seminary Hall at Northeastern State University

This four-year regional university has a long and colorful heritage which began in 1846 when the Cherokee National Council authorized establishment of the National Male Seminary and National Female Seminary.

Tahlequah, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do Monuments near Tahlequah, OK

Historic Rough Rider Monument

Dedicated to Roosevelt's Rough Riders buried at a nearby cemetery, this is the only monument dedicated to the Rough Riders in...