LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Morrill & Janes Bank Onaga, Kansas Chamber of Commerce

The Congregational Church - 1906


category : Historic Churches
When Onaga was but a year old, the Congregationalists started a church building. The church actually started in Vienna. services had been held there until March 1878, when the church organization was moved to Onaga. Services were held in the Degraw School House. The church building was started in the latter part of October 1878. The following spring, work on the building was pushed forward and nearly completed, when the structure was wrecked by a severe wind storm. Rebuilding was commenced immediately and on November 2, 1879, the first church edifice in Onaga was dedicated.

As the years went by, a new church building was needed and the current church building was built and dedicated on March 11, 1906.


Address: 4th and Lucien

Come visit us in Onaga, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Doughboy Memorial

The Doughboy was purchased by the American Legion and dedicated November 11, 1920

Onaga, KS Memorials

St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church

The lots for the Catholic Church were purchased on November 22, 1881. The original frame building was used as a place of worship until 1948 when the present stone church was completed. The 400 pound bell and the crucifix were saved from the old church.

Onaga, KS Historic Churches


Log Cabin

Located on the grounds of the Onaga Historical Society Museum is a cabin that was "uncovered" when an old house on the Kirke Grutzmacher farm was torn down. According to L.B. "Barney"

Onaga, KS Pioneer Life

Cool Springs Golf Course

A stunning 9-hole course, Cool Springs Golf Course features 3,005 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 36

Onaga, KS Golf Courses

Things to do Historic Churches near Onaga, KS

Beecher Bible and Rifle Church

The church was established in late June, 1857 by settlers from the Connecticut-Kansas Company. The purpose of the group spons...

The Congregational Church - 1906

When Onaga was but a year old, the Congregationalists started a church building. The church actually started in Vienna. servi...

St. John Lutheran Church

This beautiful native stone church was built in 1907. August Peters of Alma was contracted to construct the present native li...