The first school, built in 1870, was a log cabin provided by Berryman Smith. The teacher, Mrs. O.M. \"Billie\" Smith, had 25 students enrolled. Bonds for the next school building, the Little White School House, were sold to raise $1,800 and the school was built in 1872 for $900
Three buildings form the Caney Valley Historical Society Museum complex with the Wallar Building housing most of the exhibits and is also the location of the Caney Chamber of Commerce office. The town's heritage as "The Big Gas Town"