Tonganoxie, Kansas

Tonganoxie, Kansas

Tonganoxie was platted in 1866, and as a rarity in those times, was founded by a woman, Magdalena Bury, who, just as rare, operated a saloon at this time. As a usual practice, the town was going to be named "Buryville," but she insisted it be named for a chief of the Delaware tribe that once occupied land throughout what is now Leavenworth County and western Wyandotte County. Chief Tonge-Noxie's name means "shorty" in the Delaware language. When the Delaware relocated to Oklahoma, local immigrants and friends of Chief Tonge-Noxie honored him by naming the settlement after him, later changing it to its current spelling.

The first hotel was built in 1868. Between 1867 and 1900 fifteen hotels were built throughout Tonganoxie. During times of flooding it was often impossible for travelers to make it between Leavenworth and Lawrence, and Tonganoxie provided refuge.

Tonganoxie is 25 minutes from downtown Kansas City, 15 minutes from Lawrence and the University of Kansas, and 40 minutes from Topeka, the capital of Kansas. Easy transportation access on US 24-40 Highway and just three miles north of Interstate 70, commercial and freight air transportation is conveniently available at Kansas City International Airport about 30 minutes away.

Locals enjoy all major metropolitan services and amenities with hometown atmosphere, and spectacularly scenic countryside! It is no wonder that Tonganoxie has nearly doubled in size since 2000.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Tonganoxie Water Park

The Tonganoxie Water Park is a modern facility with two large water slides, spray ground, zero depth entry main pool, toddler pool, a full bathhouse, and a large water area for recreational and fitness activities. The Water Park is open from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day annually.

Tonganoxie, KS Water Parks

Tonganoxie City Parks

VFW Park - This beautiful park was built by the local VFW post. It covers about 15 acres and is located at 900

Tonganoxie, KS City Parks

Reno Methodist Church

The original Reno Methodist Church was opened August 16, 1891 at a cost of $1,900. Samuel Kelsall and James Phenicie were instrumental in its organization. The first minister was John Jacobs - a Baptist and blacksmith in Reno. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1918

Tonganoxie, KS Historic Churches

Tonganoxie Community Historical Society Museum

The Tonganoxie Community Historical Society (TCHS) owns and operates 10 acres, called the Site, with four buildings. They are The Honey Valley School house, Reno Methodist Church, Fairchild/

Tonganoxie, KS Museums

The Honey Valley School

As one of four buildings on the Tonganoxie Historical Society site, the Honey Valley schoolhouse – district #56 - was organized on March 25, 1869. It was located about a mile south of Tonganoxie on the Gordon Harmon Farm -near County Road 1 and U. S. Highway 24-40

Tonganoxie, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Things to do near Tonganoxie, KS

Paola Community Center

1914 renovated Ursuline Sisters Academy Boarding School. Currently hosts dinner theater, civic and municipal meetings, and ed...