LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Veterans' Monument


category : Monuments
Veterans' Monument The Veterans' Monument is the largest monument west of the Mississippi with veteran's names of all wars and conflicts inscribed, and the only county memorial in the United States that lists all of its veterans.

Outside viewing at any time, but come by during business hours to view the "Washita" sculpture and rare photographs inside the courthouse.





Address: Located at the entrance to the Roger Mills County Courthouse.

Come visit us in Cheyenne, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Horseshoe Hills

This landmark is a unique formation of hills creating a natural horseshoe shape. Custer and his men camped there the night before the attack on Chief Black Kettle, serving as an ideal place to hide Custer'

Cheyenne, OK Landmarks

The Augusta Metcalfe & Break O'Day Farm

Break O'Day Farm and Metcalfe Museum, the historic homestead and repository for the works of Oklahoma pioneer and “Sagebrush Artist,” Augusta Corson Metcalfe Directions:

Cheyenne, OK Museums

Red Rock Records Vault

Built in 1908, the red rock records vault survived the courthouse fire in 1916

Cheyenne, OK Historic Buildings

Santa Fe Depot

Cheyenne was the western terminus for the Clinton, Oklahoma, and Western Railroad (also known as the "COW") until the Santa Fe took over in 1928 and extended the line to Pampa, Texas. Passenger service survived until the 1960's using a "doodlebug" (AT&SF Motorcar #M.177) as train numbers 63 & 64

Cheyenne, OK Railroad History

The Story of the Battle of the Washita

Introduction The cultural collision between pioneers and Indians reached its peak on the Great Plains during the decades before and after the Civil War. U.S. Government policy sought to separate tribes and settlers from each other by establishing an Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma)

Cheyenne, OK

Things to do Monuments near Cheyenne, OK

Mormon Battalion Memorial Plaque

A plaque was erected in 1983 at the north side of the courthouse in Boise City, observing the crossing of this area by the 50...

Chief Left Hand Monument

Born in the 1840s somewhere west of present Fort Supply, Left Hand ("Niwat," also "Nawathit") became principal chief of the s...