LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Vickers Oil Refinery


category : Oil History
Vickers Oil Refinery The Vickers first refinery was built in Potwin in 1915. During the first half of the twentieth century, Potwin enjoyed the prosperity of the Vickers Oil refinery. Commencing with a lease on the Parris Farm 10 miles north of Potwin, production reached 16,000 barrels a day during the late 50's. In 1964, distressed economic conditions shut down the oil processing facilities. The company was sold to Swift & Company and the remaining operations were closed in 1970 - marking an end to an era of prosperity.


Address: Anita St. and Kellogg St.

Come visit us in Potwin, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Bank

The 1904 limestone building was originally built for Potwin'

Potwin, KS Historic Buildings


Vickers Oil Refinery

The Vickers first refinery was built in Potwin in 1915. During the first half of the twentieth century, Potwin enjoyed the prosperity of the Vickers Oil refinery. Commencing with a lease on the Parris Farm 10 miles north of Potwin, production reached 16,000 barrels a day during the late 50's. In 196

Potwin, KS Oil History

Circle "E" Feedlot Tours

Custom feeding operation for 12,000 to 15,000 head of cattle. Tours by appointment.

Potwin, KS Tours

Sink Hole

This sink hole appeared in 1937 and measures 58 feet deep and 250' x 200'

Potwin, KS Natural Attractions

Things to do Oil History near Potwin, KS