LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Wah-Shun-Gah Days

Starting date:
Ending date:

Always call # confirm
Event# 620-767-5413

Event Details

Wah-Shun-Gah Days

The Annual Wah-Shun-Gah Days honors members of the Kaw Nation, whose reservation in and around Council Grove was taken from them when they were moved to "Indian Territory" (now Oklahoma) in the spring of 1873. This three-day event includes the Kaw Nation's Inter-tribal Pow-wow, a classic car show, antique tractor show, arts and crafts fair, flea market, a mile-and-a-half long parade at 10 o'clock Saturday morning, food vendors lining both sides of Main Street and continuous entertainment at the "Main Street Tent" and the air-conditioned high school auditorium. There will also be street musicians along Main Street. This is family entertainment at its best.

Wah-Shun-Gah Days


Phone : 620-767-5413   (Always call and confirm events.)

Email Address : chamber@councilgrove.com

Web Address :
Admission Fee : One-time button purchase: Adults @ $6.00 - Children under 12 @ $1.00

Additional Notes :

Festivals

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Atkinson Log House

This building houses the two-story Atkinson Log House, constructed in 1858 on Clark's Creek near Large Spring near Latimer, and moved to this site in 1996. It is one of the two oldest wooden structures known to remain in Morris County.

Council Grove, KS Pioneer Life

Seth Hays Home

The town founder, Seth Hays, built this home in 1867. His slave, Aunt Sally, lived in the basement and cared for Hays and his adopted daughter, Kittie Robbins, until her death in 1872. Hays died a year later, February 3, 1873

Council Grove, KS Museums

Post Office Oak and Museum

This 300-year-old bur oak (just the trunk remains) served as the unofficial post office for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail from 1825-1847. Passing caravans could leave messages for future travelers in a cache in the base of the tree. A stone building erected in 1864

Council Grove, KS Landmarks

Council Grove National Bank Building

Completed in 1887, this bank that anchors a corner of downtown is a fine example of Western Commerical architecture. The exterior of the building was refurbished in 1974 and, after a 1978 fire, additional work restored the lobby to an appearance reminiscent of 1887. Listed on the

Council Grove, KS Historic Buildings

Old Bell Monument

Perched high on a hill overlooking the town and Neosho River valley below, this bell was erected in 1866 to warn townsfolk of Indian raids. It also served as a school and church bell for nearly 30 years.

Council Grove, KS Monuments

Things to do near Council Grove, KS