LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Watonga, Oklahoma

Watonga, Oklahoma

Historic Watonga is the County Seat of Blaine County, and was an early fort and post office station named after the Arapahoe chief, Watangaa (Black Coyote). It was settled in the run of 1892, and has retained its beautiful turn-of-the-century architecture in the downtown area. Today with a population of 3500, agriculture and ranching are big business, along with gypsum mines and manufacturing.

Watonga is a popular spot for antique shopping, browsing through museums, fine dining, and few people leave town without stopping at the Watonga Cheese Factory, (the only one in Oklahoma).

The second Friday & Saturday in October thousands converge on Watonga for their annual Cheese Festival. Visitors enjoy crafts, arts, antiques, flea market, cheese tasting, food contest, parade, living history, quilt show, great rat race, mouse walk, good food and great entertainment.

Rich in cultural western history, individuals and tour groups enjoy spending time in Watonga.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Chief Roman Nose

Roman Nose State Park near Watonga, Oklahoma, is named after the Southern Cheyenne Chief, Henry Roman Nose (often confused with the Northern Cheyenne Chief roman Nose, killed at the Battle of Arickaree in eastern Colorado, 1868). Born June 30, 1856

Watonga, OK Famous People

Watonga Floral and Antique Mall - 1892

Built before the turn of the century this building was purchased in 1892. In 1917 it became a clothing store and remained a clothing store until 1970. It then became a well-known drug store. The same person owned 104 & 106 W. Main since 1951. It continued as a drug store until sometime in the 1980'

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Rose Building - 1911

Mr. Rose built a two-story brick building in 1911. He owned and operated a hardware store on the ground level. The upstairs had several interesting businesses including a pool hall, photograph studio and dental offices. Watonga'

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Blaine County Courthouse

The Blaine County Courthouse was built in 1906 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Watonga, OK Historic Courthouses

Barbara's - 1892

The first owner purchased this building from the US Government in 1892. According to a local historian the owner accumulated a lot of property in and around Watonga. This property has been under the same ownership as 104 W. Main since 1951. Seven couples have owned this property from 1892 to date.

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do near Watonga, OK

Byron Hatchery and Watchable Wildlife Area

In 1929, the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation established Byron State Fish Hatchery to produce sportfish for stat...

Great Salt Plains Cabins

Six cabins each feature a fully-equipped kitchen, a double bed and a hide-a-bed. The cabins are air-conditioned and heated. F...