Yellow Springs, Ohio
Upcoming Events in Yellow Springs Ohio
|1 - 4||Young's Jersey Dairy 139th Birthday Celebration - Come join us in celebrating our 160 years in business. We will feature special activities as well as special pricing in honor of our birthday. Check our website for updated information on this event.|
The Ying Quartet
- The Ying Quartet, four siblings from Chicago, is in residence at Harvard University and the Eastman School of Music. They won the Naumburg Award in 1993, a Grammy in 2006, and are leaders in commissioning new works and bringing chamber music to underserved communities.
Address: The First Presbyterian Church
The Vogler Quartet
- The Vogler Quartet of Berlin, prizewinners in the 1989 CMYS Competition for Emerging Chamber Ensembles, has gone on to become one of the most respected ensembles in Europe for their interpretations of Beethoven and of living composers.
Address: First Presbyterian Church
Annual Easter Egg Hunt
- Easter Sunday will mark another year Young's has hardboiled and dyed over 4,000 eggs for the Annual Easter Egg Hunt. This event starts promptly at 2pm for children 4 and under, at 2:20pm for ages 5 to 7, and again at 2:40pm for ages 8 to 10.
There is no charge for this fun event... Barnabe, our mascot, will be present so bring your cameras and have your child's picture taken with him!
The Easter Egg Hunt is held rain or shine... after all, what else can we do with 4,000 hardboiled? and dyed eggs!
Finals of the Annual Chamber Music Yellow Springs Competition
- Every year two finalist groups, chosen from dozens of submissions from ensembles the world over, are invited to share a program played in front of a regular audience and a panel of distinguished judges. Always exciting, this concert is anticipated with pleasure by all who have experienced previous competition finals.
Address: First Presbyterian Church
|14 - 15||
Annual Antique Power Tractor Show at Young's
Visit Young's and view a display of many makes, models, and years of tractors and farm equipment. Tractorcade on Friday evening and a full day of events on Saturday.
? 1pm Barrel Race
The show will be held across the road from the Dairy Store in the field.
Address: Young's Jersey Dairy
Voices Against Violence Benefit Concert
- A full day of music, ice cream, and fun. More than 12 Dayton area musicians, artists, and entertainers performing at this FREE concert. $1 donated to FVPC for every ice cream cone sold.
The Voices Against Violence Benefit Concert will ignite the downtown Yellow Springs area on Sunday, June 1, 2008, from 11 am to 9 pm at the Corner Cone Dairy Bar & Grill in support of domestic violence awareness. Voices Against Violence is a bi-annual event benefiting the Family Violence Prevention Center.
The free outdoor benefit concert will feature 12 Dayton area musicians, covering a wide array of musical genera's. Listeners from 9 months to 99 years will be entertained with the sounds of classical guitar, Americana, Celtic, folk, comedy, pop, classic rock and roll, and more. Various artists and entertainers will be on hand throughout the day entertaining the crowd with magic, balloon artistry, and face painting. Domestic violence awareness items, such as bracelets, necklaces, and lapel pens will be sold at the event to benefit the Family Violence Prevention Center. The Corner Cone Dairy Bar & Grill will also donate $1 to the Family Violence Prevention Center for every ice cream cone sold on Sunday, June 1st.
Domestic violence reaches far beyond physical abuse. It is a growing problem that can only be battled through awareness. The Voices Against Violence Benefit Concert hopes to brighten this dark and sometimes taboo subject with music and laughter. All music and activities are positive and family friendly.
High Noon- Michael and His Guitar
1pm- American Outlaw
2pm- Peggy Welty Guitar Goddess
3pm- Rob Heiliger
4pm- Nate Rising
5pm- Amber Kaye
6pm- Hardcore Hippie with Miller Tyme
7pm- Dawn Cooksey
8pm- Full Circle
Other area musicians to make surprise appearances throughout the day!
The Family Violence Prevention Center is a non-profit organization that provides free prevention programs for Junior High and Senior High Schools, local businesses, and community groups, as well as offering preventative couple's counseling. No charge intervention programs are offered for victims and perpetrators of domestic violence as well as outreach counseling, crisis assistance and safe housing.
According to the Ohio Domestic Violence Network, in Ohio (2006):
* 20,608 domestic violence cases were filed
* 135,645 people received domestic violence services
* 10,484 domestic violence victims received shelter
* 345 deaths occurred as a result of domestic violence
* 4,548 forcible rapes were reported
* 25,928 domestic violence victims were wives, or live-in partners of their offenders
* Most victims of domestic violence do not report the crime and spend their lives as victims or abusers
DID YOU KNOW?
One in every four women will experience domestic violence in
her lifetime. One in 33 men have experienced an attempted or
An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by
an intimate partner each year.
The majority (73%) of family violence victims are female. Females
were 84% of spousal abuse victims and 86% of abuse victims at
the hands of a boyfriend.
Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse
their own partners and children when they become adults.6
Questions or comments:
# # #
The Family Violence Prevention Center works to eliminate domestic violence; every individual has the right to be free from harm, to be respected, and to determine and pursue their own goals.
FVPC is a non-profit organization that provides free prevention, outreach, intervention, and safe housing programs. It is the FVPC's desire to encourage and support those whose lives have been forever changed by acts of violence; to strengthen individuals and help them to live violence free futures.
Address: Corner Cone Dairy Bar & Grill, 101 Walnut Street , Yellow Springs, Ohio
|2 - 3||Annual Wool Gathering - The Midwest Festival of Fibers presents "A Wool Gathering". You can talk to producers who raise fiber animals and artists who use the fibers in creative ways. There's always something for the whole family and it's FREE! Join us for a weekend of fun classes in run hooking, punch needle, or even needle felting. Stop by the vendors booths for unique gifts and demonstrations.|
|5||The Pacifica Quartet - The Pacifica won the 1998 Naumburg Award and is rated among the most respected American string quartets. The program includes Beethoven's Op. 130 with the Great Fugue.|
|16 - 17||
32nd Annual Fall Farm Festival
- Come out to Young's and enjoy great food, delicious homemade ice cream, farm animals, thousands of pumkins, and many fun-filled acitivites. Take a walk through Cowin's Corny Maze or ride on the ponies and carnival rides. There will be sack races, pumpkin painting, tours, and demonstrations. Don't forget to try some of our fresh pumpkin donut holes and caramel apples! This is one fall festival you won't want to miss!
- Piffaro recreates the elegant sounds of the official, professional wind bands of the late Medieval and Renaissance periods as well as the rustic entertainments of the peasantry. Shawms, sackbuts, dulcians, recorders, krumhorns, bagpipes, lutes, guitars and percussion provide the fascinating aural dimensions to an entertaining Piffaro performance.
Address: The First Presbyterian Church