Kearny County, KS
Kearny County has a most interesting history which began long before most other western counties of Kansas, except those which, like it, were on the Santa Fe Trail. The Indians followed the Arkansas on hunting and other expeditions for countless years before the white men came.
For fifty years (1822-1872) from the time Becknell led the first caravan from Westport to Santa Fe, until completion of the Santa Fe railroad to Colorado in December, 1872, the trail through our county was used by ever increasing numbers. Scouts, trappers, hunters, traders, soldiers, adventurers, Spanish, French, Mexicans, Americans, men of high and low degree with their oxen and wagons made deep ruts across the county.
It is thought by some authorities that Coronado (1541), the first white man to visit Kansas, passed up the Arkansas River on his return trip when he failed to find the fabled cities of Cibola in the kingdom of Quivera.
Trappers were following the river as early as 1816, when Chouteau defended himself against a band of 200 Pawnee Indians on the island five miles west of Lakin, which bears his name.
Explore Kearny County
Beymer Water Recreation Park
Beymer Water Recreation Park offers a variety of activities for the outdoorsman. Swimmers may cool off at the designated swim beach, while picnickers enjoy a barbecue on the many tables and grills. A covered picnic shelter is available for large parties. Reservations may be made at the County Clerk\Lakin, KS Recreation
Kearny County Historical Society Museum
Step back in time as history unfolds at the Kearny County Museum on Buffalo Street. Established in 1979, the museum won the Kansas Historical Society's Award of Excellence in 1982. In 1974Lakin, KS Museums
Loucks Municipal Park
Sunshine and fresh air abound at Loucks Municipal Park, two miles west of Lakin on U.S. HWY 50. Donated by Charles A. and Rhonda Loucks in 1950, Loucks is an 80Lakin, KS Recreation
Old Commercial Hotel
The Commercial Hotel built in 1883 and run by Mrs. W.P. Loucks, had a good trade. Mrs. Loucks, the genial hostess, was the pioneer hotel keeper of Lakin. She came here in 1879 when Lakin was a way station on the Santa Fe and opened an eating house for the railroad employees. "Lakin, KS Historic Buildings
About four miles east of Lakin on highway 50Lakin, KS Pioneer History
Chouteau's Island was the largest island of timber on the Arkansas River in this area. In the spring of 1816, Auguste Pierre Chouteau was returning to Missouri with several other fur trappers when they were attacked by a large party of Pawnee Indians. Chouteau'Lakin, KS Pioneer History
The Conestoga Wagons were used primarily to haul freight on the Santa Fe Trail and other freight trails. They could handle two tons of goods. The wagon in our displayed in the Museum Comples bears the inscription "Joseph Edgar - 1831". There is a series of 1939Lakin, KS Pioneer History
Lakin Municipal Golf Course
The course, 9 holes with grass greens, was one of the first in southwest Kansas with an underground sprinkler system and bluegrass fairways. It\'s located at Louck\'s Park.Lakin, KS Golf Courses
The Lakin Christian Church was organized in 1901 in the old courthouse building, and the existing building was dedicated in 1908.
The church is made of concrete, is nearly square, and has a splendid seating capacity.
Lincoln and Buffalo StreetsLakin, KS Historic Churches
Historic O'Loughlin House
The O'Loughlin house was called, "The Little White House", as it was the largest building in the town and was the center for social gatherings, church services, meetings and housed visiting dignitaries. The White House is the oldest two-story house in Lakin. It was built in 1875Lakin, KS Museums
Lakin City Park
While enjoying your stay in Lakin, stop and relax at Lakin City park. With a swimming pool, basketball facility, and a playground, everyone is sure to be pleased.Lakin, KS Recreation
Santa Fe Depot
Lakin originated as one of the early stops on the Santa Fe Railroad from Dodge City to Colorado in 1872. This depot, constructed in 1876, replaced the original boxcar depot. The depot was moved to the museum site and restored in 1984. Mr. James Thomas, grandson of the O'Lakin, KS Railroad History