When the Santa Fe Trail was the great highway between the Missouri border, then the western limit of American settlement, and the Spanish town of Santa Fe, Council Grove was an important waypoint on the route. Situated on the Neosho River, it was a natural stopping place, well watered with abundant grass and timber.
At this grove in 1825 the U.S. commissioners negotiated with the Osages for a passage across their lands. This right-of-way, surveyed by the government in 1825-1827, became the Santa Fe Trail as it is known today, and from this council with the Osages the town of Council Grove took its name.
The county has many interesting sites including the Kaw Mission, the Hays House Restaurant, the Seth Hays House, the Last Chance Store, the Old Brewery, the Cottage House, the Calaboose, the Mather-Blim House, the Sylvan Grove Depot, the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad Depot, and most of the downtown business district of Council Grove is an historic district.
Morris County is home to the Council Grove Federal Reservoir which is host to thousands of visitors each year enjoying good fishing, water skiing, boating, and camping. Besides the Federal Reservoir, Morris County has a city owned lake just outside of Council Grove, and a privately owned lake in the southeast corner of the County known as Lake Kahola.
Agricultural interests dominated the early development of Morris County and is still the prominent industry today. The grasslands of the Flint Hills are desired by cattlemen all over the nation. Thousands of cattle arrive every year from out of state to be turned out onto the lush native grasses of the Flint Hills.
Explore Morris County
Completed in 1887, this bank that anchors a corner of downtown is a fine example of Western Commerical architecture. The exterior of the building was refurbished in 1974 and, after a 1978 fire, additional work restored the lobby to an appearance reminiscent of 1887. Listed on theCouncil Grove, KS Historic Buildings
Legend has it that while patrolling the Santa Fe Trail with his famous 7th Cavalry Regiment, George Armstrong Custer camped under the huge elm that flourished at this site. The massive trunk is all that remains of this tree that measured more than 100 feet tall and 16 feet around. Custer bought 120Council Grove, KS Landmarks
This 300-year-old bur oak (just the trunk remains) served as the unofficial post office for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail from 1825-1847. Passing caravans could leave messages for future travelers in a cache in the base of the tree. A stone building erected in 1864Council Grove, KS Landmarks
Like its name warns, this store was once the "last chance" for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail to buy supplies for their journey to New Mexico. Built in 1857, the limestone structure is the oldest commercial building in Council Grove and is listed on the National Register of Historic PlacesCouncil Grove, KS Pioneer History