The dramatic scenery of the area were formed by erosion of gypsum and shale laid down over 200 million years ago. Gypsum is the soft, white rock deposited when this area was a large inland sea, similar to the Dead Sea in Israel. Shale is the reddish-brown soft rock formed from the mud of river beds which crossed this area when the inland sea dried up.
Another natural wonder: fresh water springs (the largest collection in north-western Oklahoma) that stay a chilly 56 to 60 degrees, year round. The Spring of Everlasting Waters gurgles forth from subterranean rivers at the rate of 600 gallons per minute, feeding a recreational paradise of water and wildlife.
Blaine County is the site of the first gypsum mill in Oklahoma Territory, the Ruby Stucco Mill, Southard, located in the north central part of the county, is the site of one of the purest gypsum deposits in the United States. The U.S. Gypsum Company is the largest industrial plant in the county.
The International Association of Rattlesnake Hunters has headquarters in Okeene, which is also the site of its Jaycees Annual Rattlesnake Hunt.
The Canton Lake Walleye Pike Rodeo and Fishing Derby occurs annually at Canton Lake, Oklahoma's leading fisherman's paradise. The Walleye Rodeo is Oklahoma's oldest and largest fishing tournament.
Roman Nose State Park is located seven miles north of Watonga, the county seat and site of the Watonga Cheese Factory and the annual Watonga Cheese Festival. Watonga, was named for Watangaa, or Black Coyote, an Arapahoe leader.
Originally designated as "C" County in 1890, Blaine was adopted as the county name in November 1892, in honor of James G. Blaine, U.S. Senator, House Speaker, and Republican presidential candidate in 1884.
Explore Blaine County
Watonga Cheese has a new facility in a new town but prides itself in its 70-year tradition to produce rich, handmade cheddar cheese full of flavor. Now located in Perryton, TX we continue to use the original equipment and recipe that makes our factory stand out from the rest!Watonga, OK Venue Attractions
The current Noble House structure was built in 1912 by Abe Bills, and replaced an old landmark wooden rooming house. The lower level of the new building housed a residence and a barber shop for Mr. Bills, his wife and daughter. The upstairs portion served as a rooming house. Abe Bills'Watonga, OK Famous Homes
While you are strolling the streets and enjoying history you may like to stop by Temptations and see what is in store for you. In 1986 new owners purchased the building and wanted to stay within the era of our prairie architect. They did just that. They uncovered a ghost sign on the wall. It reads:Watonga, OK Historic Buildings
The first owner purchased this building from the US Government in 1892. According to a local historian the owner accumulated a lot of property in and around Watonga. This property has been under the same ownership as 104 W. Main since 1951. Seven couples have owned this property from 1892 to date.Watonga, OK Historic Buildings
The Ferguson Mansion was built in 1907 and is open for tours of its period furnishings and historic memorabilia. T.B. Ferguson, appointed Oklahoma's sixth territorial governor by President Theodore Roosevelt, is best remembered for his efforts to turn Oklahoma Territory into Oklahoma the State. <Watonga, OK Museums
Built before the turn of the century this building was purchased in 1892. In 1917 it became a clothing store and remained a clothing store until 1970. It then became a well-known drug store. The same person owned 104 & 106 W. Main since 1951. It continued as a drug store until sometime in the 1980'Watonga, OK Historic Buildings