Ardmore, the county seat, was founded in1887 by Santa Fe railway workers and has grown from the greatest inland cotton exporter in the world to a city on the move. Thanks to an active and progressive development authority, Ardmore is leading the way to growth and prosperity.
Lake Murray on the south offers boating, camping and fishing, plus golf, hiking and equestrian trails, bicycling, cottages, a 54-room resort and Tucker Tower Nature Center. In Ardmore, the Charles B. Goddard Center offers changing exhibits of modern art and ongoing programs.
Ardmore also is home to the Southwest Historical Museum, featuring exhibits and artifacts from the 1500s to pioneer settlement, and the Military Memorial Museum, containing military artifacts
from the American Revolution to Desert Storm. Numerous antique shops, the Eliza Cruce Doll Museum at the new public library, and the many events going on at the Hardy Murphy Coliseum keep both tourists and locals entertained. Also, don't miss the annual Balloonfest, the held the third weekend of July!
In Healdton, visit the area's first oil well at the Discovery Well, and the Veteran's Museum is housed in log cabins and display military exhibits. The city lake is famous for black bass fishing.
Explore Carter County
Numerous western events take place in this WPA-era stone building and arena, named for "Mr. Ardmore," Hardy Murphy, a horseman who performed with his palomino, Old Buck, throughout the U.S and Europe. The Hardy Murphy Coliseum is a multi-use facility offering a 25,000Ardmore, OK Historic Buildings
Housed in a native-stone building constructed during Roosevelt's WPA days, the museum traces the heritage of settlers who carved out a living in early day Indian Territory to those living in the 1930s. Featured is an 1892 Cabin inside the museum.Ardmore, OK Museums
The Seth Thomas Clock in the dome of the Carter County Courthouse was installed in 1928. There is a dial on each side of the dome-- north, south, east and west. The metal plate on the front says the clock is #2677 and dated May 5, 1928. The clock as been stopped since 1988 or 1989. In April 1988Ardmore, OK Historic Courthouses