Alma is the county seat, but became so only after three elections with Wabaunsee running a close second each time.
During the Civil War, people came from Connecticut wanting Kansas to remain a free state, and formed the Beecher Bible and Rifle Colony bringing with them guns to fight if needed, and Bibles to teach others about Christianity.
An underground railroad was organized out in the country to help slaves escape to Canada, but it did not reach into the towns. The home of Captain Mitchell in the north part of the County was one of the stations to keep the slaves in hiding until they were taken into Iowa and on to Canada. Most of the early immigrants came into this area from Germany.
Each town in Wabaunsee County: Alma, Alta Vista, Eskridge, Harveyville, Maple Hill, McFarland, Paxico and Wabaunsee, is a typical small town with friendly people who are happy to live here.
Explore Wabaunsee County
Living the farm life, Everett and Hazel have a natural passion for collecting antique farm machinery, as well as items that portray historic ag life. The "Ag Heritage Park" is the culmination of Everett and Hazel's efforts to collect memorabilia that commemorates ag life.Alta Vista, KS Museums
This beautiful and stately native stone building was once one of the finest building in town. It was built in the early 1880s by the Limerick Brothers, two red-headed Irishmen. These freckled, Irishmen came swinging into Alma with a fortune of $375,000 to invest, which they did in splendid style.Alma, KS Historic Buildings
WHS serves the communities of Alma, McFarland, Paxico and Maple Hill. It was constructed in 1938 and is an example of one of the many native stone buildings located in Alma. With its limestone exterior and red tile roof, it is considered one of the most beautiful high schools in Kansas.Alma, KS Historic Buildings
This beautiful building was constructed in 1931. It is constructed of Carthage and native stone. The Carthage stone, used on the outside for facing, gives the appearance of a granite building. All outside walls are backed up with eight inches of native stone.Alma, KS Historic Courthouses