Converse County's history and present-day economy is heavily intertwined with that of the railroad. In Douglas, the local Chamber of Commerce and Visitor's Center is housed in the historic FE & MV Railroad Passenger Depot. The building is listed on the National Historic Register and is surrounded by seven historic railcars including the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive #5633. Built at the CB&Q shops at West Burlington, Iowa in September 1940, it was one of the last class of steam locomotives on the Burlington. They were designed for fast freight and heavy passenger service.
The depot and the collection of train cars, known as the Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center, can be visited free of charge.
Come visit us in Wyoming, Wyoming