Established in 1888, the Neosho National Fish Hatchery is the oldest of 65 hatcheries operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. It is one of the few fish hatcheries located inside the "city limits." The hatchery was located on a 12.36 acre tract of land purchased from Limuel Hearrell for $2,472. In 1901, an additional 3.3 acres were added, and in 1964, 243.6 acres of old Camp Crowder was added.
The hatchery water supply is from four gravity flow springs, some over four miles away, that combine to supply 1,600 gallons per minute of 58 degree water. The chemical and physical properties of this water are ideal for rearing healthy fast-growing trout. An Osygen Injection System is used to increase overall production capabilities.
The rearing facilities consist of eight 3' x 30' tanks, sixteen covered 8' x 80' raceways, and eight earthen ponds. Three of the ponds are used for trout rearing from September to June. Besides raising rainbow trout, the hatchery has spoonbill, sturgeon, brown trout and is the home for the endangered blind Ozark cavefish.
The Main Hatchery Building consists of offices, a tankroom that contains eight tanks and egg hatching units; restrooms; display room; lab/break-room; and aquariums. We Welcome all of Visitors to our newly opened Welcome Center. You must come and take a tour!
Hours: Open Year Round
Address: 520 E. Park St.
Come visit us in Missouri, Missouri