This 1884 One Room School House has been restored and is ready for 'Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rithmetic. The New Era School maintains the integrity of its time with original desks, pot-bellied stove, slate chalkboards, oiled floors, pump, outhouse, and coal shed, plus additional daily used items. Over 1000 students visit annually as part of their West Virginia history studies. The museum also has 25 albums of local school photos and school histories.
The New Era School was built in 1884 and served students in grades 1 through 8 until 1956. The facility then served as a community building for the Missouri Run area. It was later turned over to the Wood County Association of Retired School Employees. In 1991, the Living Heritage Museum Project, a newly formed volunteer organization, acquired the building for restoration. The building was dismantled and moved 7 miles from Missouri Run to the Mineral Wells School campus for reconstruction.
Come visit us in West Virginia, West Virginia