Old stone country inn was built in 1865 along Mission Creek where wagons could ford the stream (about 15 miles southwest of Topeka, Kansas). In 1878 the inn was expanded to also serve as a layover station for the Southwestern Stage Company. The building served as an inn, post office and eating establishment. The grounds included a livery, corral and blacksmith shop. The inn's owner was Alfred Sage, but it is thought that Mark Sage was the stone mason. The inn is an excellent example of vernacular architecture. Many of the earliest buildings in Kansas were made of native limestone. Mark Sage became a well known mason who also helped build the Kansas capitol. Guided historical tours available by reservation.
Come visit us in Dover, Kansas