Altus Army Air Field began training pilots to fly twin-engine aircraft in 1943. At the end of World War II, the Army stopped using the field and it was closed in 1945.
The Air Force activated Altus Air Force Base in 1953. A Tactical Air Command troop carrier wing operated from Altus for 10
The Museum of the Western Prairie examines the development of Southwest Oklahoma, the geographic area bounded by the North Fork of the Red River, the 100th Meridian and the Red River. The area, organized in 1873