LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Arkansas City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Cowley County State Lake

Cowley County State Lake, covering 85 acres, is mainly for fishing, but has campsites and picnic areas also. Along with many of the lakes in the area, it features channel catfish, a variety of bass, crappie, bluegill, sun perch and other species.

Arkansas City, KS Recreation

Cowley County Community College

Cowley County Community College, (CCCC), dates back to 1922 when it began as Arkansas City Junior College. The vocational-technical school was added in 1967, making Cowley the first community college in Kansas to combine technical and general curriculums. At present, there are 2,000

Arkansas City, KS Colleges

Horizon United Methodist Center

"Camp Horizon" is nestled in 160 wooded acres on a bluff overlooking the Arkansas River. Purchased by John Hall in 1945 with the dream of building a youth camp, it now provides for a variety of outdoor and recreational experiences.

Arkansas City, KS Trails

Denton Art Center

The Denton Art Center is the home of the Arkansas City Arts Council. Many exhibits, programs, and classes are held at this Center. This striking 1914 structure was formerly the residence of the Albert Denton Family. Mr. Denton was a prominent banker in Arkansas City. He and/

Arkansas City, KS Arts

Cherokee Strip Land Rush Museum

This area was made famous as the gateway to the Cherokee Strip Land Rush that was later called "The Largest Race in World History." This movement attracted settlers from all over the world. Over 110,000

Arkansas City, KS Museums

Things to do near Arkansas City, KS

All Nations Native American Center

Cowley County has the tenth largest Native American population in the State of Kansas. Incorporated in August of 1996, the Al...

Sage/Laverty Residence

This house, built in the early 1880s was originally a four room house, owned by Frank I. Sage. Mr. Sage added four more rooms...

Historical Essays

Historical Essays written by local historian, Dorothy Hoobler, are reprinted from the St. Marys Star. Thanks to Dorothy fo...