LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Bank of Waverly


category : Historic Buildings
Bank of Waverly This historical building in Waverly was built about 1883 as a private bank by Mr. Senior and Mr. Fisher. In 1892, it was sold and became known as the Bank of Waverly.

On January 27, 1893, it was the scene of Waverly's only bank robbery. Two masked men held up the cashier at gunpoint and killed a man while making their getaway. The story is told that, in his haste to pursue the fleeing gunmen, a townsman living west of the bank took off in the winter cold in his shirt-sleeve, later contracted pneumonia as a result, and died. A posse caught up with the men near Lebo, and the loot was recovered.

The bank was later known as the First National Bank. After the Bank moved, the building held the offices of Dr. Belinda (Belle) Egan, the first woman doctor to graduate from Kansas University. Later it housed a Buick automobile agency, and in 1917, became the Post Office. After the Post Office moved in the early 1930s, all or parts of the building have been a hardware store, a doctor's office, a warehouse, a gift shop, an electronic games arcade, and it currently a dental office.


Come visit us in Waverly, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Bank of Waverly

This historical building in Waverly was built about 1883 as a private bank by Mr. Senior and Mr. Fisher. In 1892, it was sold and became known as the Bank of Waverly. On January 27, 1893, it was the scene of Waverly'

Waverly, KS Historic Buildings

Prairie View Church

The Prairie View Church is over 90 years old. It was named the "Rural Church of the Year" in 1982

Waverly, KS Historic Churches

Olive Ann Beach

Olive Ann Beach, co-founder of the Beech Aircraft Corporation, was born and raised on a farm south of Waverly.

Waverly, KS Famous People

Things to do Historic Buildings near Waverly, KS

S & W Supply

Slawson & Wilson Supply is the oldest known business in Girard that is still using its original equipment. S & W Supply ma...

Appeal to Reason Site

A large brick building was on this site and was used by the Appeal To Reason newspaper in 1896. Its publisher was J.A....