Built in 1849 by Gabriel Baer, Bear's Mill is one of the few operating water-powered mills in Ohio today. The site of the present mill, as well as the water rights were granted to Major George Adams through a Presidential Deed by President James Monroe in 1824.
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, Bear's Mill uses water from the creek which provides power that turns the underwater turbines which power the milling machinery to grind many types of meal and flour.
Not only is the Mill significant but the land and water around it is important, too. Because of the abundance of wildlife and the uniqueness of its ecosystem, the Mill property is considered a wildlife sanctuary. Huge trees line the banks of the Greenville Creek and the mill race. The forest floor is carpeted with wildflowers in the spring and summer. Wild plants and wild animals are attracted to the flowing waters.
Visitors are encouraged to tour the mill and the beautiful natural area surrounding it, as well as the distinctive gift shop.
Come visit us in Greenville, Ohio