LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Boot Hill Cemetery


category : Cemeteries
Boot Hill Cemetery The original Boot Hill was located in Hays not Dodge City, as many people believe. In fact, when Dodge City was founded in 1872, the Hays City Boot Hill was well populated. Mrs. Elizabeth Custer spent the summers of 1869 and 1870 near Hays with her husband, Lt. Col. George Custer. In her book, Following the Guidon, she states that there were already 36 graves in the cemetery before she left.

Estimates of the number of people buried there vary from 37 to 100, but the most reliable evidence shows there were approximately 79 graves. When homes were built at the site, many bodies were moved from Boot Hill to the Mount Allen Cemetery. Records, however, were incomplete and therefore the whereabouts of these are lost in history. Not all of those murdered in Hays City the first six years were buried here. Several were soldiers, probably buried at the Fort cemetery.

Hays is famous for being a frontier city and its colorful history features the legendary "Wild Bill" Hickok, "Buffalo Bill" Cody and General George Custer. Hays City was founded in the fall of 1867 when the Union Pacific Railroad reached the military post of Fort Hays along the banks of Big Creek. Because many of the first citizens were railroad workers, saloon owners, soldiers and even desperados, the early days of Hays City were wild and dangerous. During several months in 1869, "Wild Bill" Hickok served as the acting sheriff after several incidents prompted the citizens to form a vigilante committee. Many of the outlaws were buried at the original boot hill cemetery, which was located on a hill just north of Hays City.


Admission: Free admission
Hours: Sunrise to sunset
Address: 18th and Fort Streets
Phone: 785-628-8202
Our Website:www.haysusa.net

Come visit us in Hays, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Walker Air Base Display

The model of the Walker Army Airfield that is on display at Forsyth Library on the campus of Fort Hays State University was completed in October 2000 by Fort Hays State University student Steve Arthur. The Walker Army Airfield was located in Ellis County, about 2 and 1/2

Hays, KS Historic Airfields

Precision Valley Golf Center

"Precision Valley Golf Center where the golf season never ends." The facility offers golfers a much needed place to practice and work on their game. It is currently the most technologically advanced golf club fitting center between Kansas City and Denver. The 6000

Hays, KS Fun Centers

Historic Downtown Chestnut Street District

The road in downtown Hays City that is now known as Main Street was originally called Chestnut Street in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The word "City" was officially dropped from the name Hays City in 1885 and by 1930

Hays, KS Historic Districts

Frontier Park

The area that surrounds Big Creek on the southwest edge of Hays at one time was part of the original Fort Hays U.S. Military Post. After the Fort was closed on November 8, 1889, this land became available and on March 28, 1900

Hays, KS Outdoor Recreation

K.S.U. Ag Research Center

The 1895 Kansas legislature declared, "The experience of the settlers of the settlers upon the plains of western Kansas has demonstrated conclusively that agriculture cannot be pursued with profit under existing natural conditions."

Hays, KS Education Centers

Things to do Cemeteries near Hays, KS

Cawker City Cemeteries

Prairie Grove Cemetery and Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Cemetery are located 1/2 mile north of the city limits on Lake Driv...