Buhler is located eleven miles northeast of Hutchinson in south central Kansas. The northwest quadrant of town is filled with attractive homes, such as the Wall-Ratzlaff House at 103 N. Maple, an 1898 mansion that has been restored to its original state.
Buhler's first post office, named Hamburg, was established in early 1888. Later that year, the name was changed to Buhler. Many of the early settlers were German-speaking Mennonites who brought strong religious beliefs and strong wheat-farming skills. Four of the five churches in Buhler are Mennonite. In the well-maintained Wheatland Park on the east side of town there is an interesting metal sculpture symbolizing the wheat that makes this area so prosperous.