The Phelps Hotel is typical of many hotels erected during the late nineteenth century in western Nebraska. The building is Deuel County's oldest hotel, constructed in 1885 by the Edwin A. Phelps family, who were among the first settlers in the Big Springs vicinity.
The Wallace W. and Libby King Waterman sod house was built about 1886. The original dwelling had three rooms. In 1925, it was enlarged and remodeled by Virgil and Helen Burke Waterman, and the sod walls were covered with concrete. The family lived in the house until 1989
Home as it was in a more genteel times this 1911 house has been restored to its original condition, complete with period furniture. Also featured is a display of the desk, chair, and flags from the Washington, D.C. office of Congresswoman, Virginia Smith - one of Nebraska'