LASR.net Homepage




Menu

D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence


category : Famous Homes
D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence Over the door, chiseled in ornate German script the date, 1882, and the names of the builders, D.R. and E.W. Bruman. The home had a very deep dug well, now covered, which had unusually cool, fresh water. The cellars of the house are on several levels, with a fine fruit cellar, which can be reached from both inside and outside the house.

An unusual aspect of the house is the ceilings. One of the original ceilings still remains, more than ten feet high. It is constructed in four large squares, put together with moldings of different sizes and various woods. Inside the large squares are elaborate Victorian designs, painted by a local artist of the early days, a Swiss, named August Ohst.


Address: 219 West 5th Street

Come visit us in Alma, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Kuenzli Creek Oxen Tours

Experience the speed of travel on the western trails throughout the Tallgrass Prairie of the Flint Hills. Our two hour tour makes a wholesome and educational family outing. We prefer family groups of about six or less.

Alma, KS Tours



Historic Stone Fences

The federal government abolished the open range in a law passed in 1867. The government paid farmers $.40 per rod (16.5 feet) to build and maintain a 4.5

Alma, KS Scenic Drives

Wabaunsee Co. Historical Society & Museum

A focal point for visitors near and far. The museum features turn-of- the-century farm exhibits, a blacksmith shop, leather-making display, an early day doctor's office, an 1880 schoolroom, a 1928

Alma, KS Museums

Things to do Famous Homes near Alma, KS

Samuel N. Wood Home

The Sam Wood House (also known as the Nelson Ranch), the original part was built in the 1860's and is now known as "Buck Cree...

Lyons/Hamblet Residence

This house was once the scene of much activity. It was the Lyons Boarding House before many hotels or restaurants were built....

Sage/Laverty Residence

This house, built in the early 1880s was originally a four room house, owned by Frank I. Sage. Mr. Sage added four more rooms...