Relay For Life - Claremore - While the American Cancer Society is making progress toward a world without cancer, only with your dedication and fundraising efforts can we finish th ... more on Relay For Life
An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"
The WILL ROGERS HOTEL, listed on the National Register of Historic Places was dedicated in 1930. The fireproof structure of concrete and steel originally contained 78 rooms and 7 apartments. During World War II, it was designated as a bomb shelter. Mineral water baths called "radium water"
The south wing of the Old Will Rogers Library is the Lynn Riggs Memorial. Rollie Lynn Riggs was born in 1899, 3 miles southwest of Claremore in Indian Territory. He became an internationally famous author and playwright of "Green Grow the Lilacs", from which the musical "Oklahoma!"
The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.