LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Clay Center, Nebraska

Clay Center, Nebraska

As the county seat of Clay County, Clay Center is the site of the historic courthouse which dominates the town square. Thirty retail stores and establishments serve the community of 980 people. There is always something to do with community plays and school events, church fellowship activities, and many organizations offering opportunities for everyone.

The Fourth of July, "Old Trusty Days," county fair, and good football games are a few of the highlights of the year, enjoyed by not only the people in Clay Center, but also from all over the county.

The town of Clay Center was laid out in the summer of 1879. In an election held on November 4, 1879, the voters favored the proposition that the seat of government be moved to the middle of the 16-township county and be given the name "Clay Center."

The election was, of course, contested by heated competitions with rivals Sutton and Harvard. But as soon as a one-story, frame building was completed, the county records were whisked out of the building in Sutton in the dead-of-night, and brought to the official county seat by horse and wagon. Thus ended another colorful Nebraska county seat saga. In February 1887, Clay Center became an incorporated village.

Industrial development began in 1903 when M. M. Johnson built a factory to manufacture "Old Trusty" poultry incubators and brooders that were sold nationwide. The factory provided employment for hundreds of local citizens. The Johnson Company established radio station KMMJ in 1925 to promote its products, and the station made Clay Center a well-known and respected name in farm homes throughout the Midwest.

Clay Center experienced dramatic change in 1942 when a Naval Ammunition Depot was built just west of town to produce bombs and shells during World War II. This property was later transferred to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and has been designated by Congress as the Roman L. Hruska U.S. Meat Animal Research Center.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Clay Center City Park

The Clay Center City Park is complete with a swimming pool, playground equipment, picnic tables, a sheltered building, a horseshoe-playing area, and modern restrooms. It is perfect setting for reunions, celebrations, and simple family fun.

The park was originally the site of the "

Clay Center, NE Recreation


Roman L. Hruska Meat Animal Research Center

Scientists at the Roman L. Hruska U.S. Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) develop new technology in order to increase the efficiency of livestock production and benefit consumers. The MARC was authorized by Congress on June 16, 1964

Clay Center, NE Research Centers

Clay County Courthouse

The Clay County Courthouse was built in 1918, replacing a brick structure that was built in 1881. The courthouse stands in the center square of downtown Clay Center surrounded by 30

Clay Center, NE Historic Courthouses

St. Martin's Catholic Church

St. Martin's Catholic Church was designed by architect James H. Craddock in the Gothic Revival style and was erected in 1907-8. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Clay Center, NE Historic Churches

Things to do near Clay Center, NE

Nebraska State Genealogical Center/Public Library

The Beatrice Public Library houses the 3000-volume Nebraska State Genealogical Society Collection, the D.A.R. Lineage Book...