In May of 1856, a Milwaukee wagon train financed by E.D. Holton made its way through the rolling hills of northeast Kansas, arriving in the fall in what is now Jackson County. After wintering in Topeka, thirty miles south, the settlers returned to a plateau south of Elk Creek and began building the town of Holton.
Norman Rockwell would have loved Holton, often described by visitors as one of Kansas' best kept secrets.
The Jackson County Courthouse built in 1920, occupies the center of the town square. Brick streets and store fronts that recapture the days of old make shopping at the craft, antique and variety stores around the square a richly rewarding adventure.
Seasonal hunting, fishing, swimming and golfing provide other interesting sights and sounds of our community.