The Alpha Schoolhouse was moved to the Frontier Country Historical Society Museum in Crescent, Oklahoma during the autumn of 2005.
The community of Alpha was nine miles west and one mile north of Kingfisher. The Post Office opened November 7, 1893 and remained open until December 14, 1903. It's name comes from the first letter of the Greek alphabet. A post office in Omega (the last letter of the alphabet) was situated 5 miles west of Alpha.
The Alpha School District was established as Kingfisher County District # 78 in 1893. The first teacher, Mrs. Dora (Barrackman) Brown first taught in the Congregational Church Building, dedicated November 1893. Mrs. Brown related that both white and black students attended Alpha School the first year.
Alpha merged with Greenwood school in 1933, when Greenwood (Dist. #77) officially closed. Alpha Independent School District #78 became the last district to merge with Omega in 1947, and the Alpha school closed. The school was used by Alpha Extension Homemakers group and for other community functions for several years after its closing.
Booklets containing first-hand accounts about the Alpha School and community are available at the Frontier Country Historical Society gift shop.
This information was collected from first-hand accounts as well as "Chronicles of Oklahoma," published by the Oklahoma Historical Society and compiled by Deann Lewis.
Admission: Adults: $5.00; Seniors (55+): $3.00; Grades 1-12: $2.00; Under 1st grade: Free
Address: 500 N. Grand St.
Our Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come visit us in Crescent, Oklahoma