Three monuments grace the grounds of this country school, a red granite Oregon trail marker, with legend inscribed on it; a Pony Express marker with plaque, and a Mormon marker to a company who went through this county on their way to reach the Mormon Trail on the north side of the Platte River. Their captain died in 1855 and was buried near this marker. Names of some of the others in the same company, who died between Atchison, Kansas and Fort Kearney are also listed on the plaque.
The school house was built in 1898, and is now the property of the Jefferson County Historical Society. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Hours: The school house is open to the public Sundays 2-4 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Address: Three miles east and two miles south of Alexandria, near the Alexandria State Lakes.
Come visit us in Alexandria, Nebraska