The Stone wall behind and across the street from Grant's statue is a favorite with photographers. The wall was restored in the early part of this century by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
... Old Stone Wall
The Rookery at 12-14 Sumner Place is the oldest house in Kansas. It was completed in 1834 and was the first permanent post headquarters building. Lieutenant Douglas MacArthur lived here in the early 1900s. The building is a Registered National Landmark.
The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.