The J. D. McDonald House, built in 1888, is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style. While employing the
varied building materials and roof lines typical of Queen Anne architecture, this structure has a distinctive rounded
Dodge County was established in 1856. Fontenelle was named temporary county seat, but Fremont won the
county seat designation in 1860. J.J. Hawthorn donated land for courthouse purposes in 1866. In 1867 the county built the first courthouse, a two-story brick structure. In December 188
Take yourself back in Fremont's history with a self-guided tour of the Downtown District. The Fremont Historic Commercial District consists of an enclave of late nineteenth and early twentieth-century buildings that represent Fremont'
The large two-story frame house, located in Fremont, exemplifies a transitional product of Queen Anne and
Neo-Classical Revival styles. Businessman R. B. Schneider, founder of the Nye, Schneider, Fowler Company,
grain dealers, built the house in 1887