The area that surrounds Big Creek on the southwest edge of Hays at one time was part of the original Fort Hays U.S. Military Post. After the Fort was closed on November 8, 1889, this land became available and on March 28, 1900, the United States Congress granted the State of Kansas the right to dispose of the property. The law required the land to be used for a State University, agricultural experiment station and public park. For 79 years the park was operated under the auspices of the state. In 1979, the City of Hays assumed responsibility of the park, upkeep and development.
Today, Frontier Park is a very scenic natural looking recreational area with a creek that winds through the 89 acres of land. The park also features several walking trails, bridges, picnic and playground equipment, 4 shelter houses, 18-hole disc golf course, modern restroom facilities and plenty of large shade trees. On the west end of the park is the City of Hays buffalo herd and on the east end is the Dusty Glassman baseball complex.
Admission: Free Admission
Hours: Sunrise to Sunset
Address: South Main & Hwy 183 by-pass
Come visit us in Hays, Kansas