LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Garden City, Kansas

Garden City, Kansas

The first years of this young town's history are full of names and events that prove people were industrious, imaginative and resourceful. By 1883, trainloads of Easterners were coming out to lay claim on this fertile river bottom land, lured by land speculators and their own dreams of being a part of the Western Expansion.

The William D. Fulton family moved into their historic Garden City home from their homestead in September of 1884. Fulton and his brother, James, were the first to file on land in (Sequoyah) Finney County. They were buffalo hunters who saw the potential for a town. W.D. Fulton built a hotel and engaged in farming. The brothers donated a large portion of their land to the A.T.&S.F. Railroad to encourage the railroad officials to make Garden City a regular stop. Garden City got its name from the beautiful garden that Mrs. Fulton grew.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Finnup Center for Conservation Education

The Finnup Center for Conservation Education is a state-of-the-art facility which helps the zoo fulfill its primary mission of education. The beautifully crafted center is named for its benefactor, the Finnup family, long time supporters of the zoo and Finnup Park. Completed in the spring of 199

Garden City, KS Education Centers

C.J. "Buffalo" Jones Statue

The bronze statue on the courthouse lawn was unveiled in September 1978 and dedicated at the July 4, 1979 celebration of Garden City's Centennial. Highlights of Jones'

Garden City, KS Arts

Lee Richardson Zoo

Go on safari right here in Garden City! The Lee Richardson Zoo offers beautiful grounds and fascinating creatures from all over the globe. Over 350 animals are displayed within the 47

Garden City, KS Zoos

Southwind Golf Club

There's a reason for the name of Southwind Country Club. The course was opened in 1980 with one over-riding factor in mind: in southwest Kansas, the wind blows from the south, often and hard!

Garden City, KS Golf Courses

Finney County Courthouse

The first courthouse in Finney County was built in October, 1885, at this location. The county soon outgrew the small building and in 1902 was moved to a larger building at 113 South Main Street until the present courthouse was built in 1929. C.J. "Buffalo"

Garden City, KS Historic Courthouses

Things to do near Garden City, KS

Cimarron National Grassland

Welcome to the Cimarron National Grassland, one of twenty National Grasslands administered by the U.S. Department of Agricult...

Historical Sites

Wild Horse Corral - In early days, wild horses were grazing on the prairie and often t...