Kingman State Fishing Lake and Byron Walker Wildlife Area are located on U.S. Highway 54 seven miles west of Kingman, in the valley of the South Fork of the Ninnescah River. The area encompasses 4,529 acres, including the 144-acre Kingman State Fishing Lake.
Completed in 1888, the building was originally the Kingman City Hall, fire department, and city jail. The two-story Renaissance-style structure is 150 feet by 25 feet of Kingman red brick and native limestone.
Donald R. Green was originally from Kentucky but learned to ride a stage coach while living in Montana. Hearing about how people were moving westward through Kansas during the late 1800s beyond where the railroads ended, he saw a financial opportunity.