Built in 1928, the Chief Theater has been a mainstay of the Coldwater business district for generations. Having survived the advent of television and video tape, the Chief radiates a nostalgic charm from the days of silent movies, newsreels and nickelodeons. In its prime the Chief featured movies every night of the week, weekend matinees and was frequently filled to its seating capacity of 300 people.
In the late 1940's the theater was decorated in a Native American theme with colorful murals in the lobby and auditorium which have been preserved to this day. The building is now on the Kansas state, as well as the National register of Historic Buildings.
Currently operated and restored by the Chamber of Commerce, The Chief presents first-run movies on weekends, and local productions, lectures and other live entertainment.
Address: 122 E Main
Come visit us in Coldwater, Kansas