LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Historic Garrett House Museum


category : Museums
Historic Garrett House Museum This historic home was built in 1867 as the commanding officers residence, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The three story home was part of the Fort Gibson Fort established in Indian Territory in 1824. The privately owned home has been in the Judge Claude Garrett family since 1924. That year young lawyer, Garrett, and his bride, the former Katherine Oldham, ignored the advice of elders and bought a ramshackle stone home looking across the weed-infested parade ground of the decayed fort.

Wooden porches were replaced with ornamental iron columns. The front entrance as well as the tall French windows are original. In the typical style of the 19th century, ceilings on the second floor are 12 feet high allowing plenty of room for tall posts of a fine four-poster bed. The woodwork is hand-finished walnut and oak, all from trees cut in the river bottoms of the area. For 23 years, it sheltered Colonels, Captains, and Majors who commanded in the last years of Fort Gibson.

The house is rich in history that began with the fort and into the Judge Claude Garrett family. Once used as the family's residence, this restored mansion is open by appointment and for tours.


Admission: Adults, $3; senior citizens, $2; students ages 6 to 18, $1; and children under 6 are admitted free with adult. Group discount rates are available.
Hours: Appointment hours: 10am to 4pm Friday and Saturdays in April, May, and June, and September through December.
Address: 504 E. Coppinger Ave., Highway 80A to the Ft. Gibson Dam
Phone: 918-478-3747

Come visit us in Fort Gibson, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

1903 Building

This interesting building is located on the corner of south Lee across from the Fort Gibson State Bank.

Fort Gibson, OK Historic Buildings

Fort Gibson Historic Site

Beginning in the early 1920s, local residents sought to preserve Fort Gibson's History. In 1936, the stockade area was reconstructed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, Works Progress Administration, and the Fort Gibson Stockade Commission. Today, the Site is a

Fort Gibson, OK Forts

Cherokee National Cemetery

The Cherokee National Cemetery is a National Historic Landmark maintained by the Cherokee Nation from before the Civil War until its transfer to the town of Fort Gibson in 1906. William P. Ross and other officials and dignitaries are buried in this cemetery.

Fort Gibson, OK Cemeteries

River Park

River Park provides a boat ramp to the McClellan-Kerr Navigation Channel, campsites, picnic tables, and is the southern trail head of the Jean Peirre Chouteau National Hiking Trail.

Fort Gibson, OK RV Parks

Fort Gibson Historic Site Walking Tour

1... Stockade 2... Caretaker's Cabin 3... Library 4... Mess House 5... Kitchen 6... Bakery 7... Married Officer's Quarters 8... C.O.'s Quarters 9... Cabin 10.. Well 11.. Sutler Store 12.. Sutler's Quarters 13.. Boundary Marker 14.. Civil War Earth Works 15.. Quartermaster Warehouse 16

Fort Gibson, OK Tours

Things to do Museums near Fort Gibson, OK

Drumright Historical Museum

Oilfield and area history. ...

Wallis Museum

Fossils, rocks, indian artifacts. Located in the Student Union Buildling, Conners State College. ...