The Lisco State Aid Bridge, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was one of eight state aid bridges designed by the state engineer's office using multiple-span Pratt pony trusses. With spans ranging from 60 to 100 feet, most were built in the mid-1920s, when the riveted long-span pony truss found its greatest acceptance in Nebraska.
In October 1927 a contract for its construction was awarded to the Western Bridge and Construction Company for $47,600. Using steel fabricated by the Inland Steel Corporation, Western completed the structure during the relatively mild winter of 1927-28.
Of the three Garden County state aid bridges, two remain in original condition. In fact, the Lewellen and Lisco bridges are the only remaining intact examples of state aid pony trusses in Nebraska. The Lisco Bridge is significant as one of the last remaining structures from the state aid bridge program.
Although originally part of the primary highway system, the Lisco Bridge now carries a county road.
Total Length: 651 ft.
Roadway Width: 15 ft.
5-Span, 5-Panel, Pratt Pony Truss
TYPE: Rigid-connected Pratt pony truss
BUILT: 1927-28 by the Western Bridge and Construction Co
Address: County Road over the North Platte River, 0.6 Miles South of Lisco
Come visit us in Lisco, Nebraska