LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Historic Waysides Tour at Fort Leavenworth


category : Tours
In 1996 Fort Leavenworth was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark and a portion of the fort is on the National Register of Historic Places. In an effort to share this historic facility and expand its welcome to visitors, Fort Leavenworth has erected a series of wayside pedestals at 17 historic sites on the fort. Each stone pedestal displays beautiful artwork and narrative as well as a two-to-eight minute recording explaining the historical significance of the site.

Self Guided Tour

1. "Queen of the Frontier Posts"
2. "Frontier Freight Operations"
3. "World War I and World War II Induction Centers"
4. "Deploy as Skimishers, CHARGE!"
5. "Command and General Staff College"
6. "Highway to the West"
7. "Arsenal of the West"
8. "Cantonment Leavenworth"
9. "Main Parade Field"
10. "Peace Makers"
11. "Battle Training-Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow"
12. "West End Parade"
13. "Pioneers, Settler, Heroes Remembered"
14. "First Kansas Territorial Capital and Military Prison"
15. "Native American Prisoners of War"
16. "Trails West"
17. "Horsemanship Training"


Admission: free
Hours: daylight hours
Address: tour starts at the Frontier Army Museum
Phone: 800-844-4114
Fax: 913-682-8170
Our Email: connie.cvb@sbcglobal.net
Pick up a printed guide book at the Visitors Bureau at 518 Shawnee Street.

Come visit us in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Command & General Staff College

The School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, established in 1881.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Colleges

Memorial Chapel

Built in 1878 by prison labor from stone quarried on the post and, today, is considered to be an outstanding architectural "gem" in this area.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Churches

Main Parade Ground

The main parade ground was originally the center of post activities. Post reviews and parades were held here during negotiations with federal officials in the 1800s.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Military History

Syracuse Houses

The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

General Grant's Statue

Sculpted by Loredo Taft, in 1889, the statue and the pedestal are 9 feet tall each. It was the largest statue of its type in the Midwest when it was installed.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Memorials

Things to do Tours near Fort Leavenworth, KS

Group Tours

Leavenworth City Tour - A guide, provided by the Leavenworth Convention & Visitors Bureau will step on bus, that is pr...

Historic Waysides Tour at Fort Leavenworth

In 1996 Fort Leavenworth was designated a Registered National Historic Landmark and a portion of the fort is on the Na...