The Douglas Mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, has been an eye-catching landmark in Jerome since 1916, when James S. Douglas built it on the hill just above his Little Daisy Mine.
Douglas designed the house as a hotel for mining officials and investors as well as for his own family. It featured a wine cellar, billiard room, marble shower, steam heat, and, much ahead of its time, a central vacuum system. Douglas was most proud of the fact that the house was constructed of adobe bricks that were made on the site.
He also built the Little Daisy Hotel near the mine as a dormitory for the miners. The concrete structure still stands.
This former home is now a museum operated by the Arizona State Parks and is devoted to history of the Jerome area and the Douglas family. The museum features exhibits of photographs, artifacts, and minerals in addition to a video presentation and a 3-D model of the town with its underground mines. One room, the Douglas library, is restored as a period room. There are more displays outside along with a picnic area offering a beautiful panoramic view of the Verde Valley.
Admission: Park Permit Required
Hours: The park is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and closed on Christmas Day.
Address: The park is located in the town of Jerome just off State Route 89A, on Douglas Road.
Come visit us in , Arizona